Veteran Benefits

Please know that applying for your VA educational benefits can be a long process from start to finish. It is best to start the paperwork as early as possible to ensure that the processing of your benefits is complete well in advance of the start of each semester. Please use our step by step guide below:

In general, students may apply for benefits under one of the following chapters associated with VA educational benefits:

Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill ™ (Qualify by periods of active duty service after Sept. 11, 2001)

Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill ™ – The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) is available to those who enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces.

Chapter 1607 – REAP -Qualify by Reserve enlistment but have at least 90 consecutive days of active duty service after Sept. 11, 2001. Legislation was recently passed to sunset this program – please click on the link above or call the VA Hotline at 1-888-442-4551 for more information.

Chapter 35 – Dependent’s Education Assistance – Qualify as a spouse or child of a deceased or 100% service-connected disabled Veteran.

Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation – Qualify as a Veteran with a service-connected disability.

For specific eligibility requirements associated with any of these chapters, please click on the appropriate links above.

Students may also be eligible for state veterans awards or tuition assistance:
Note: If you are eligible for Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill ™ at the 100% rate, or Chapter 31 – Voc Rehab you will not be eligible for state aid awards (TAP/VTA or DoD TA).

Armed Forces Tuition Assistance (TA):

Benefits paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application processes, and restrictions. The money is usually paid directly by the service branch to the college.

Each of the military branches have information for their processes at

For other questions, please contact your unit.

Apply for your VA Educational Benefits:

  1. Complete the VON APP (Veteran Online Application)
  2. Have your DD-214 available. If you do not have your DD-214, you may obtain it through Veteran Records Archives.
  3. Bring your Certificate of Eligibility to the Student Financial Resources office.
  4. For each term you wish to use your VA Educational Benefits, you must utilize priority registration and submit a Class Schedule for Veteran Educational Benefits to the Student Financial Resources office.  You are also required to notify Student Financial Resources of any change to your schedule by submitting an updated Class Schedule for Veteran Educational Benefits reflecting the change.

Ready to become a Dolphin?

Apply Now