Adult Education graduate with family and instructor

Adult Education & Literacy Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Frequently Asked Questions

How is Adult High School different from High School Equivalency (GED® /HiSET®)?

In the HSE program, you will prepare to take the General Education Development Exam (GED®) or the High School Equivalency Test (HiSET®) to receive a High School Equivalency Diploma from the NC Community College System. In the Adult High School program (AHS), you will take courses to earn credits, complete the NC high school graduation requirements, and receive a traditional high school diploma issued in agreement with the Brunswick County Board of Education and the NC Department of Public Instruction.

Does it cost anything to attend? 

There is no charge to attend Adult High School; no tuition and all materials are free.

There is no charge to prepare for the High School Equivalency exam at Brunswick Community College. However, there is a fee for the official tests. Total fees are: $80.00 ($20.00/test) paid directly to GED® or $75.00 ($15.00/test) paid directly to HiSET®.

Do I have to attend classes on campus?

No. We offer in-person, hybrid, virtual, and on-line options. With our multiple options for instruction, you should be able to fit school into your busy schedule.

In-person and hybrid HSE classes are available during the day and evenings on the main campus of Brunswick Community College and at the Leland Center of BCC. We offer day classes at the Southport Center of BCC. In- person, virtual and hybrid classes meet two, three, or four days per week depending on the schedule you choose. On-line HSE classes provide a more flexible schedule and can be completed from home but require the student to have a computer/tablet and internet access. HSE classes can also be completed through correspondence via mail for students who are at the 9th grade level or above.

AHS classes are offered 100% on-line, but students must take all final exams on campus with a proctor.

How can I enroll in the AHS or HSE program?

The first step is to attend an orientation class. This is a two-day Student Success Class which meets for three hours each day. These classes are held on main campus and in Leland. During the two-day class you will receive information about the college and classes, placement test, complete interest and skills profiles that explore career options, and receive information that will assist you with being successful with your post-high school career and education plans. You will also choose an education path, develop a plan for your high school completion and receive your class schedule.

If you are enrolling in the AHS program, you must obtain an official transcript from the last school that you attended or the County School Records Office and bring it unopened to the college on or before your orientation class. Your transcript will be evaluated to determine the credits you have already earned, and the credits you still need to earn your diploma. A transcript is not required for the HSE program.

When can I enroll in the AHS or HSE program?

You can sign up for orientation today! We offer orientation sessions weekly and you may begin either program immediately after attending orientation.

Can I attend if I’m not an adult?

If you are 16 or 17 years old, you must complete a minor application packet. This packet includes a parental release which must include a notarized signature and a school release for anyone who has attended Brunswick County Schools within the previous six months. The packet can be picked up at the college or downloaded from the BCC website. The packet must be completed before you can attend an orientation session. No one under 16 years of age is eligible.

How many credits do I need to graduate from the AHS program?

The number of credits you need for graduation is determined by the state of North Carolina. The total needed is 22 credits. You will receive credit for all classes that you passed in public school. You will complete the remaining credits at Brunswick Community College.

What are the passing scores for the HSE Exams?

GED®: You must score at least 145 out of 200 on each of the four tests, Language Arts (Reading & Writing), Social Studies, Science and Math.

HiSET®: You must score at least 8 out of 20 on each of the 5 individual tests, LA-Reading, LA-Writing, Social Studies, Science and Math, with a minimum of 45 out of 100 combined score on all five tests and a minimum score of 2 out of 6 on the essay.

How do I schedule a campus visit or tour?
To schedule a tour, CLICK HERE.

I am an Adult Education student. How can I request a copy of my transcript?

Please follow these step:

High School Equivalency Diploma and/or Transcript Requests: All GED® and HiSET® test takers can find instructions for requesting diplomas and transcripts at the following link:

Adult High School Transcript Requests: Complete the AHS Transcript Request Form. Instructions for return & processing are included on the form.

Need more information?


DeRee Jackson, Senior Director

Jennifer Lester, Retention & Transition Specialist

Email: [email protected] Email: [email protected]
Phone: 910-755-7358 Phone: 910-755-7386
Fax: 910-755-7482 Fax: 910-755-7482
Address: Brunswick Community College McLamb Building, D-135

PO Box 30

Supply, NC 28462

Address: Brunswick Community College McLamb Building, D-134

PO Box 30

Supply, NC 28462



Adult Education graduate with family and instructor

Ready to become a Dolphin?

Apply Now